You want to be pregnant and you heard some things about IVF. So you made an appointment at Midwest Fertility Center or another fertility center. But you are confused and apprehensive about your first visit. Relax and read the following advice about the questions you need answered by the fertility center.
Dr Madanes and his caring staff are here to answer all of your questions and are happy to discuss any concerns you may have about your options. Here are some questions that you might want to ask Dr Madanes to make the most of your first consultation.
- What are the benefits of the treatment you’ve recommended and why do you think it’s the best option for me?
- How many patients at your clinic have had this treatment in the last two years, and how many of them have become pregnant/had a baby?
- Are there alternative treatments? If so, what do they involve, and why do you think they are less suitable for me?
- What other options are available to me if this treatment doesn’t work?
- How does my age affect the choice of fertility treatment?
- What drugs will I have to take, and what are the usual side effects they might have?
- Are there any alternatives to the drugs you have mentioned?
- Can you break down all the costs involved in this treatment? Are there any other costs that might arise?
- Is there any way these costs can be reduced?
- What lifestyle changes can I make to boost my chance of success (eg, diet, exercise, stopping smoking, etc)? How will these help?
- What kind of counselling or advice service do you provide? Is there a cost for this, or how many free sessions can I have?
- Does this clinic have a patient support group I can join, or are there other groups you would recommend?
- Could you tell me more about the assessment process you will need to carry out before giving me the go ahead for treatment (this is sometimes known as the ‘welfare of the child’ assessment)?
- What happens next? Do I (and/or my partner) need to do anything now?